Mutual Exchanges

A mutual exchange is where two or more tenants swap homes and tenancies. It is often the quickest way to move to another area or different size of property.

You can apply for a mutual exchange if you have an assured or secure tenancy: this includes the majority of local authority or housing association tenants.

You do not have the right to exchange if you have an assured shorthold or starter tenancy or live in a Welsh Housing Partnership Property.

Hafod Housing Association tenancies state that tenants have the right to exchange providing that certain conditions are satisfied. You cannot exchange without written permission from your landlord, however your landlord can only refuse permission in certain circumstances. These include:

  • you have a possession order against you
  • you have been served with a Notice Seeking Possession
  • the property you want to move to is substantially too big or too small for your household
  • the property you want to move to has disabled facilities which you don't need

Hafod is a member of HomeSwapper, a local and national matching service for tenants looking for an exchange. To register FREE visit


Once you have found a possible exchange please contact us details of what to do next. 

For more information please click here.

Mutual Exchanges
Community Housing Cymru Investors in People BITC disability confident employer