Anti-Social Behaviour

Anti-social behaviour is behaviour that causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more people.

We are committed to:

  • working with residents to create peaceful and safe communities
  • working with police and other agencies to stop anti-social behaviour
  • investigate all complaints and take them seriously
  • use appropriate legal measures to tackle people who persistently act in an anti-social manner
  • provide support to victims and witnesses

Community Safety Co-ordinator

We employ an Community Safety Co-ordinator to monitor and co-ordinate more serious cases of neighbour nuisance. Working closely with our Housing and Neighbourhoods teams our Co-ordinator makes sure that the Association uses the most up to date and effective methods to deal with all types of anti-social behaviour.

Neighbour Nuisance

Neighbour nuisance, where one household causes a nuisance to their immediate neighbours or other people close by is one of the most common forms of anti-social behaviour reported to us. It can range from loud music to inconsiderate parking.

If you are suffering from neighbour nuisance the most effective way to deal with it will depend on lots of different factors.

Further information can be found by clicking on the following link:

Living in Harmony - What to do about Neighbour Disputes

Information can also be found in our booklet - Stamping Out Anti Social Behaviour

Less serious nuisance

The best way of dealing with less serious nuisance complaints is usually to speak directly to the person causing the problem - they may not even realise that their behaviour is causing a nuisance.

If you decide to do this, there are ways of approaching people that minimise the chances of the situation escalating.

  • Try to pick a time when you are feeling calm
  • Think through what you want to say
  • Explain what is causing the nuisance and why
  • Listen to the other person's response - they may have a good explanation for their behaviour
  • Try to reach an agreement that you are both happy with
  • If you feel yourself becoming angry, or can see that the other person is becoming angry then walk away
  • Don't retaliate - this could seriously damage any case we may want to pursue in the future
  • If the nuisance is being caused by children, avoid approaching them directly - speak to their parents if you can

Persistent or serious nuisance

If you have approached the person causing a nuisance but the problem is still not resolved you should contact us. You should also contact us immediately if you have been the victim of violence, threats of violence or racial harassment.

Your Housing Officer will listen to your complaint. They will then work with you to agree the most appropriate course of action.

In all cases we will try to resolve the matter without taking legal action, however if we do eventually have to take legal action, we will need strong evidence to present to the court. It is very important therefore that you keep accurate records of incidents from the start. Your Housing Officer will send you incident record forms with guidance on how to fill them in. We can also organise the installation of monitoring equipment in your home.


Your Housing Officer will discuss the following options with you. The agreed course of action will depend on the details of your case, our policy guidelines and your preferences.

Housing Officer Visit

The Housing Officer will visit the perpetrator to discuss the allegations made against them. They will be advised of the effect their actions are having on others and warned that the behaviour must stop. They will also be advised of the possible consequences if their behaviour continues. The outcome of the visit will be confirmed in writing to both the victim and the perpetrator.


One of the most successful ways to resolve neighbour disputes is mediation. We can refer you to an independent organisation that specialises in helping people come to an agreement that both sides are happy with. Trained mediators will guide you through the process. For more information on mediation go to

Legal Action

If the case is not suitable for mediation, or mediation has not been successful then we will consider legal action. This can include:

  • Injunctions: the perpetrators have to abide by the conditions of the injunction or risk a fine or imprisonment
  • Anti-social behaviour order: the perpetrator has to abide by the conditions of the order or risk a fine or imprisonment
  • Demotion of tenancy: certain tenancy rights are taken away from the perpetrator which make possession action easier and quicker should the anti-social behaviour carry on
  • Possession Orders: the perpetrators are evicted from their home

Other types of Anti-Social Behaviour

There are many instances of nuisance that could affect you, but are not caused by other Hafod tenants, or their visitors. If we receive reports of this type of nuisance we will work with the complainants and other organisations to try and improve the situation.

Examples of this type of nuisance include:

  • Neighbour Nuisance - where neighbour is not a Hafod tenant
  • Vandalism
  • Graffiti
  • Dumped Rubbish
  • Dog Fouling
  • Abandoned Vehicles

If you would like to report issues related to Anti-Social Behaviour to the Association, you can e-mail us on  Or call us on 0800 024 8968

The Police and Local Authorities are the two main organisations we would work with, if you would like to contact them directly details are below:


Local Authorities


Anti-Social Behaviour
Community Housing Cymru Investors in People BITC disability confident employer