Staying Safe and Warm
During the cold weather spell, it's more important than ever to take steps to keep warm, and stay safe as temperatures drop. Our top 10 tips are as follows:
- Use a blanket when sitting down, and try to keep your legs off the floor, where the coldest air is.
- Wearing extra clothes in bed, such as socks, extra underwear or even a hat, can give you extra warmth.
- Make sure your electric blanket is safe to use, and never use it with a hot water bottle.
- When going out, wrap yourself up in a scarf, hat and gloves. Wearing a scarf across your face warms your breath.
- Wear boots or shoes outside with thick non-slip soles, and use a stick or a frame if you have one.
- Your living room should be at least 21 degrees centigrade (70 degrees Fahrenheit), and your bedroom 18 degrees Centigrade (64 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Put salt or sand on icy surfaces
- Do not go out in cold or icy conditions unless you have to.
- Make sure you have a phone close by and numbers of family or trusted neighbours
- Note our number – available 24 hours a day, every day – 0800 024 8968
For more useful tips please visit Age UK's website.